Police slammed promotion of banned rally irresponsible

Promoting the banned June 4 candlelight vigil is irresponsible, police told a press briefing in the afternoon, as sources said vigil organizer Tonyee Chow Hang-tung were one of the two arrested this morning.

This came as an appeal board upheld police’s ban on the annual June 4 candlelight vigil to commemorate the 1989 incident citing public health concerns.

Police’s senior superintendent Terry Law Kwok-hoi said although the rally has been banned, the police are still aware that people promoted and called on other citizens to participate in the rally through their social media accounts.

After investigations, the police arrested a 20-year-old delivery man in Sha Tin, as well as a 36-year-old lawyer, who is a member of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China.

The pair are currently detained by the police.

Law criticized the pair’s behavior to be irresponsible, as he reminded citizens that instigating others to take part in a banned rally is also a breach of the law, and called on citizens not to take part in a banned event.

This came as sources said Chow, vice chairwoman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, was taken away to the Central Police Station this morning, and was later brought to police’s New Territories South Headquarters.

Richard Tsoi Yiu-cheong, secretary of the alliance, said outside police’s New Territories South Headquarters that he has contacted Chow’s legal representative, and is concerned and worried regarding Chow’s situation.

Chow, who is also a barrister, said previously that she will “keep the promise to show up for 32 years” in her own personal capacity, and will “light a candle in place that can be seen.”

According to Chow’s relatives and friends, she said if she cannot light up a candle tonight, she will be fasting for a day to commemorate the 1989 incident which happened in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.

Civil Human Rights Front also said former lawmaker “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung and its convener Figo Chan Ho-wun will also be fasting behind bars for a day.

Meanwhile, as the June 4 candlelight vigil that used to take place in Victoria Park was banned for the second consecutive year, citizens were seen to lit candles on their own in the park last night.

Citizens entered Victoria Park and lit candles while remaining silent. A staff of the park made a call beside him, but no police officers were called to the scene.

Other citizens also lit their own candles in the vicinity of the park, as people also displayed banners in the streets of Causeway Bay.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.